Message from the President
On behalf of the Rhode Island Society of Professional Engineers’ (RISPE’s) Executive Board, I would like to welcome you to our website! We encourage you to take a few moments to browse the site and learn more about RISPE.
RISPE is a professional organization comprised of licensed Professional Engineers across all engineering disciplines. As an organization, RISPE endeavors to leave a lasting impact on the community through volunteerism and citizenship, as well as advocating for the rights and roles of Professional Engineers in society at-large.
Below are a few key examples of how RISPE and the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) strive to make a difference:
- Each year in March, RISPE hosts the Rhode Island MATHCOUNTS Competition where middle school students from throughout RI compete against each other on math problems. The event encourages young students to pursue math and develop problem solving skills that help them later on in high school and college, and ultimately assist them in pursuing fulfilling careers;
- Each year in May, RISPE awards a $500 scholarship to a deserving Rhode Island High School Senior pursuing higher education in engineering; and
- NSPE is advocating for and defending Professional Engineering licensure from legislation and/or regulations that may erode the integrity of the licensing process and the protection of public interests and safety that Professional Engineers provide.
We could not fulfill these endeavors, not the other worthy causes that RISPE/NSPE supports, without the support of our valued members and sponsors. As such, the RISPE Executive Board encourages the continued support of our current members and asks those who are not members to consider joining and/or contributing to the society.
A RISPE/NSPE Membership offers many benefits including, but not limited to the following:
- Networking opportunities with members of the local engineering community;
- Local volunteering opportunities;
- Free continuing education credits;
- Reduced fee for EJCDC documents and other engineering publications;
- Access to online job postings;
- Subscriptions to NSPE publications; and
- Discounts with businesses such as UPS, Office Depot, Lenovo, and many more.
If you have any questions about RISPE/NSPE or are interested in joining, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, please feel free to join us at one of our upcoming membership meetings (see our Calendar of Events Page for more details).
Gregory J. Coren, P.E.
RISPE President, 2019–2020